We feel it important to share the values of LPB Bookstore as allied with the many marginalized communities in the United States and around the world. While these values are not new, we have always felt it important to assert and strive to live up to these values 365 days a year. As individuals and as an organization, we are on a journey, a mission, to improve ourselves and thereby our community.
- Black Lives Matter.
- This is not a political position—it is a moral imperative.
- We work hard to invite all into the fold of discussion. We believe it is our responsibility to provide books that educate broadly on the underrepresented experience in America, asserting truth and facts of history while identifying myth, misinformation and pseudo-historical narratives that distort the reality of our past and our present—something we must overcome in order to build a future in which our nation truly strives to attain the values upon which it was founded.
- It is our objective to actively challenge racism and work for social justice.
- We encourage all persons in white skin identity to step beyond their comfort zone, to learn more, to DO more. Wherever you may be on your path, your journey, we want to be there to help.
- We will continue to curate and highlight book selections that represent authors & illustrators—and readers—of color.
- We will continue to host author visits and book discussions, and to champion books that educate—books that broaden minds and open hearts. Books are our means of starting conversations—conversations that need to happen. Across our country. Within our community. Around our breakfast & dinner tables. With our friends. With our co-workers. With our teachers. In our churches. In our schools. Everywhere.
- We will continue to attend diversity, equity and inclusion programs offered within, and outside of, the independent bookstore community—and apply what we learn.
- We will work to educate and speak about the injustice and damage wrought by racism in our communities and our society as a whole.
- We will speak out and advocate for leaders and policies that are anti-racist. Again, we emphasize: This is not a political position—it is a moral and spiritual stance.
- When we are able to hire staff, we will work to recruit and retain booksellers of color.
- Through this mission, these values, have always been a part of LPB Bookstore, we know we need to do better. We need to do more. Our efforts thus far have not been adequate.
- We invite you to join us.
The Entire Let's Play Books Team